Sunday, October 17, 2010

Celebs rally for good causes

Big names from around South Wales helped drive ticket sales for last week’s EuroMillions draw.

They understand that good causes around the UK benefit from sales – and it was good to see them doing their bit in the media and PR drive.

The October 8 EuroMillions draw had an incredible £112m jackpot.

And celebrities asked to detail how they’d use such a life-changing windfall came forward with their thoughts.

The media used some of them.

Lifeboat

They range from buying a new Mumbles lifeboat (The Wave radio presenter Badger) to creating a world-class Tour of Wales cycle race (Swansea-born Olympic and world champion Nicole Cooke).

Swansea panto star Kev Johns would buy everybody a copy of Big Issue; Port Talbot charity fundraiser Captain Beany would help the environment.

Haverfordwest-born Jamie Owen, the BBC Wales newsreader, said: “I’d share the money with my brothers to keep the peace.

“I’d buy some mountain land to save it for the nation; I’d buy land in towns and cities to turn into parks for people to enjoy and to encourage the natural world to prosper. Wide open spaces are good for everyone’s health.”

The jackpot was the fourth largest ever available in the UK.

Celebrity dreams – How would you spend a £112m jackpot?

Captain Beany Charity fundraiser and campaigner, Port Talbot Simple. I’d divide the entire £112m equally between charitable fundraising efforts, local community-based projects and environmental and ecological organizations.

Badger Breakfast presenter on The Wave It sounds bizarre but I have a list for such eventualities – and have had for a few years! I’d buy mum and dad a house closer to ours and there’d be lots of charitable causes I’d help anonymously, Of course, I’d give the RNLI £2.7m for a new Mumbles lifeboat; it’s been a tough job for all the fundraisers to hit that target in these difficult times.

Kev Johns Actor and broadcaster, Swansea Wow! £112m … with that sort of money you could do some good and spoil yourself! I’d buy four houses … a dream home in Swansea and one of those lovely seaside homes in Tenby. Next would be a mews home in London and an apartment overlooking the Hudson River in New York! I’d set up a foundation to support young people training for a career in the arts and I’d buy a Big Issue for everyone.

Nicole Cooke Olympic and World Champion cyclist, born in Swansea The bulk of the money would be spent on charities and medical research. I think cycling could be involved as a way of helping children and people in need to enjoy the fun and freedom of cycling – using tandems, tricycles or electric bikes as part of therapy or care. I’d also like to set up the best international race in the women’s cycling here in Wales – something like a Tour of Wales that brings international stars to all parts of our beautiful country and also create a women’s cycling team that trains hard, races hard and plays hard! Finally, I’d like to put something aside towards my Mum and Dad’s retirement.

Jamie Owen BBC Wales newsreader, born in Haverfordwest If I won, I would share the money with my brothers to keep the peace. I would buy some mountain land to save it for the nation, and buy land in towns and cities to turn into parks as breathing spaces for people to enjoy and to encourage the natural world to prosper. Wide open spaces are good for everyone’s health young and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment